January 20, 2008

Meyer Lemon Love Fest

Meyer Lemons and Blood OrangesFor the past few years, around this time, I've read about Meyer lemons in my food blogs, cooking magazines, etc. Like my other favorite citrus fruit, blood oranges, Meyer lemons are only in the grocery stores around here for a limited time.

I have a few lemons in front of me right now, and they are the prettiest little lemons I ever did see. They are a very bright yellow with a thin, almost giving skin - they look like lemons should look, not like the hard little light yellow things we see in the grocery store. They have a sweeter, less acidic taste, and you could almost just eat them out of hand. I picked these up at the gourmet grocery store near our place - the regular grocery store doesn't have them - and i'm contemplating what to do with them. I used one of my four last night in a Meyer lemon dressing that I used on a spinach salad with toasted almonds. For the others, I'm considering a lemon sorbet, or maybe a lemon meringue pie?

Meyer Lemon Dressing (adapted from Bobby Flay's recipe)
1/4 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (or 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice combined with 1 tablespoon orange juice)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon homemade garlic aioli*
3 anchovy fillets**
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated hard Italian cheese (I used Asiago, though Parmesan would be a bit milder)

*Substitute tablespoon store bought mayonnaise and add 2-4 cloves of garlic or 1/2-1 tsp. garlic powder
**I left these out, despite having some - I wasn't sure if my guests would enjoy the anchovy flavor. I bet they would be a good complement to the lemon, though


Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender except for the oil and cheese. With the processor or blender running, slowly add the olive oil until the mixture emulsifies. Add the cheese and blend until incorporated.

1 comments:

Tommy Vernieri said...

I saw Meyer lemons in our Whole Foods in December, but I was busy and didn't have the time to do anything with them that week. I would really like to make Meyer limoncello at some point.

You could try making a jam.